Friday, January 6, 2012

Jane Milnes 1885 Funeral Card


Jane Milnes, died 3 Jan 1885, buried 6 Jan 1885 (age 16)
Kirkheaton, West Yorkshire, England. Daughter of George and Sarah Milnes.

Farewell, farewell, my parents dear,
Brother and sister kind,
And my companions whom I loved,
I leave you all behind.

To me you all were kind and true,
While here on earth I dwelt with you,
Then do not mourn you've done your best,
You kindly loved me to the last.

This funeral card was originally owned by my mother's uncle, Elton Hartley. Elton was the family genealogist for the George and Rebecca Hartley Family Organization until his death. Elton lived in Utah and throughout his years of research, he corresponded with family members in England about the genealogy. Many family members sent him photos, funeral cards, newspaper clippings, and details of vital records in their correspondence. This funeral card is just one of many in Elton's collection which was handed down to his daughter after his passing. I have had the privilege of making digital copies of all the records for preservation purposes, thanks to his daughter Lola.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

What a treasure. It is so amazing to see the different funeral cards.

Kathryn Smith Lockhard said...

It's always such a gift when others share their treasures with us.